Episode Slice #4: Lillie Marshall on Positive Effects of Long-term Travel
Get excited, because there’s an inspirational educator in the house – Lillie Marshall! She’s a six-foot tall Boston teacher who took a leave of absence in 2009-2010 to travel around the world solo. She also has some rockin blogs that are worth reading (see below).
Here are some highlights from the interview:
- Her year off to travel and her volunteer opportunity in Ghana, which she found through Couchsurfing!
- The importance of doing the right research before you get involved in a volunteer program
- Safety when traveling
- Positive effects of traveling long-term, both in terms of your career and personal growth
- Language immersion programs – how she became an advanced Spanish speaker in a month when she knew zero Spanish beforehand
- How traveling allowed her to open her heart and find love!
… and so much more!
Info and Sites Mentioned in the Interview:
- Around the World L – Lillie’s travel blog
- Teaching Traveling – Want info on teaching and traveling abroad? Check out Lillie’s creation.
- Couchsurfing – Great site for finding accommodation, but also for finding volunteer opportunities like Lillie’s experience in Ghana
- Youth Creating Change – The organization in Ghana where Lillie volunteered
- Meet Plan Go – “encouraging and teaching others how to travel the world and have it be beneficial to your career”
- Cuernavaca – The city in Mexico where Lillie took a four-week Spanish immersion course
- Xela – A city in Guatemala where Lillie has done a language exchange
Question of the day: IF YOU HAVE EVER TRAVELED LONG-TERM, WHAT KIND OF EFFECT DID IT HAVE ON YOU? Let me know in the comments!
Join the E-mail list!
Get FREE insider news once a week