EPISODE SLICE #17 – Volunteering Around the World with Shannon O’Donnell
You’re in for a treat today because Shannon O’Donnell is on the show! Shannon is a marketing consultant, a writer, and an expert in global volunteerism! She is the ultimate humanitarian who has devoted a lot of her life to really meaningful grassroots projects.
Here are some highlights from the interview:
- Meaningful volunteer and grassroots moments in her life
- Grassroots volunteering and supporting small businesses/social enterprises in developing countries
- Tips for finding a volunteer program that matches your motivations
- Asking the right questions about potential volunteer programs
- Differences between paid volunteer programs and unpaid programs
- Why volunteer tourism is on the rise
- Why longer-term volunteering is a great learning experience and a way to connect with the community on a number of levels
- Shannon’s comprehensive new book on the ethics of volunteering, vetting organizations and travel tips!
Info and Sites Mentioned in the Interview:
- A Little Adrift – Shannon’s main travel blog
- The Volunteer Traveler’s Handbook – Shannon’s new book!
- Handbook series – The series of handbooks that Shannon’s book is a part of
- GrassrootsVolunteering.org – Shannon’s site to connect “travelers with local causes and communities”
Join the E-mail list!
Get FREE insider news once a week