EPISODE SLICE #16: A Look Inside the Corporate World as an American in China
On today’s episode slice, my guest is Sean Gelt, who is the CEO of International English Solutions (IES), a placement & assistance firm for both Chinese and American citizens. We talk a lot about the work culture in China, among other things (see below), all of which I find very fascinating!
Here are some highlights from the interview:
- What IES does and Sean’s business background in China
- How hard it is to start a business in China and what it takes
- How light and white skin makes you a more desirable person (not racial, strictly a status issue). NOTE: There are LOTS of other plusses to working in China. Don’t be discouraged if you don’t have light skin. It was just an interesting observation about the culture, and I did not mean to insult or offend anyone.
- The cons of living in China (people peeing in public, smokers, pushiness of people)
- How living in China has influenced him to become more compassionate
- The huge divide between social classes
- Why so many Chinese people know English and want to learn English
- The process of getting a valid work permit to teach in china
- How you can use IES’s services to find a legit teaching job in China
- The importance of negotiating
- Why having an assistant is important when working in the corporate world in china
… and so much more!
Info and Sites Mentioned in the Interview:
- International English Solutions (IES) – Sean’s company
- Tencent – The third largest Internet company in the world. QQ is an instant messaging program and is a product of Tencent.
- Hampson English (no link available) – One of the top police-raided places when it comes to hiring teachers without valid work visas
Interested in IES?
If you are interested in working with IES, send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How Do I Make My Web Show?
Wondering how I put my shows together? I made a page just for you. Also, check out Creating Awesome Interviews, an intensive training series about how to make your own web show. I can personally vouch for it and say that it’s worth every penny!
Join the E-mail list!
Get FREE insider news once a week