EPISODE SLICE #14: An Unexpected Journey to Full-Time NGO Work in Guatemala
On today’s episode slice, Megan Kadrmas shares her story about how she became Operations Manager for fundraising and development at Ninos de Guatemala. Ninos de Guatemala is an NGO in Guatemala that focuses on community development projects. If you had asked Megan in college what she would be doing today, she might have never guessed living and working (and finding her husband!) in Guatemala.
Here are some highlights from the interview:
- How she ended up working in Guatemala (cool story)
- How her volunteer job in Guatemala turned into a paid, full-time job
- How working in a developing country can help you hone a new skill set in ways that may not be possible in the developed world
- What to expect salary-wise if you work at an NGO in Guatemala
- Safety, accommodation, healthcare, and transportation in Guatemala
- The importance of building a support system when in a foreign country for an extended period of time
- How to get involved and volunteer with Ninos de Guatemala
- Advice on getting a job at an NGO in a foreign country
- Important characteristics to have when living in a developing country
… and so much more!
Info and Sites Mentioned in the Interview:
- Ninos de Guatemala – The NGO where Megan works
- God’s Child – The NGO where she previously worked. Also mentioned in Episode Slice #7 with Luke Armstrong
Connect with Megan
If you’d like to connect with Megan, you can reach her at email@example.com.
Join the E-mail list!
Get FREE insider news once a week